Wednesday, March 24, 2004

SOUTH CAROLINA LAST MEAL
DAVID CLAYTON HILL
March 18, 2004


...no contraband for a cop killer....

Last Meal: Hill asked for was a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne, but that is considered contraband, so he didn’t get it.

The skinny: Hill, 39, received the death penalty for shooting and killing 37-year-old assistant police chief. The officer had pulled Hill’s car over for having an expired license tag. Hill's identification card and registration were found in officer's shirt pocket.

Last words and such: Hill had no final words. His lawyer then read his seven-word final statement: "Read Philippians 1:9-23."

A portion of the passage written by the Apostle Paul states: "Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ … For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far."

Factoids: David Hill was adopted a baby. In a strange twist of fate, investigators found David Hill's birth family when researching his background after his arrest. His birth mother had recently died after 30 years of searching for him.

Hill was the...

18th murderer executed in U.S. in 2004
903rd murderer executed in U.S. since 1976
1st murderer executed in South Carolina in 2004
29th murderer executed in South Carolina since 1976