Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TEXAS LAST MEAL
JOSEPH RAY RIES
October 21, 2008


Last Meal: Ries had no final meal request.

Last words and such: Ries expressed love to friends who watched through a death chamber window and urged them to stay strong because "Jesus is coming back soon." Looking toward another window, he told two daughters of his victim he was "really sorry for what I've done." Ries said he prayed that they would find peace through God. "I hope he heals your heart. The truth is that you are going to feel empty after tonight. Standing with Christ in your heart, he can only give you peace. I pray you can find it. I really do." As the lethal drugs began flowing, he started to sing a hymn. "Our God is an Awesome God," he sang. "Lord I lift your name on high." He then slipped into unconsciousness.